Monday, October 05, 2009

Not the greatest generation

Ryan Watkins, guest posting at Think Progress, caught this little tid-bit in an interview of former Ron Paul economic adviser Peter Schiff that appeared in the Washington Post yesterday. Schiff is running as a Republican for Connecticut’s U.S. Senate seat which is currently held by Chris Dodd.
I'm interrupting my career. It's not like I want my new career in politics. But I'm willing to interrupt it the same way that somebody interrupted their career and joined World War II and went off to fight the Nazis. I don't think that I'm that heroic, and I don't think I'm risking as much as a soldier. But it's the same principle.

You gotta love the qualifications: I'm not saying I'm heroic; and I'm not saying I'm making the same same sacrifices as the Greatest Generation(tm); and the money is better in politics, so's the food, and the shoes; and I didn't mean to imply that anyone is a Nazi (okay, maybe I did); and I get to spend a lot more time with my wife/mistress/boy-toy than a GI would have; and I'm fighting against other Americans rather than for all Americans; but, other than that (and a bunch of other things), it's exactly the same!

No comments: